(meteorobs) daytime fireball, near Graham NC

Steven Kolins smkolins at mac.com
Sat Jan 5 18:29:14 EST 2008

On Jan 4, 2008, at 8:49 PM, Chris Peterson wrote:

> Some basic problems:
>
> -If a witness saw a fireball 15° above the horizon, it was almost
> certainly more than 100 miles away.

I agree - I think the second observer was really looking at a contrail
lit by the sun - it was near dawn.

However I think that such a distance makes the flash even more
spectacular. I honestly thought that since I wouldn't be able to put
this up until the following night I'd be a crowd of "me too"
sightings. I'm honestly very surprised I'm the only report - though
mine is pure chance. I was on the road on the way to work and happened
to be looking almost straight at it when it happened.

I had a chance to gander back at the crescent moon and it was dim
compared to the flash - the meteor trace through the sky was about the
brightness of the moon.

> Try to work out the radiant. Could this have been a Quadrantid? I
> recorded several bright fireballs in the dawn sky that were part of
> this
> shower. If your own measurements are accurate, this meteor was most
> likely over Virginia, probably north of Lynchburg.

It was probably east of Lynchburg, near/over Charlottesville or beyond?

Could it have been a Quadrantid? Running Stellarium back to the time
and turning off the atmosphere I'd say it's likely.

I had wondered about space debris....

Steven Kolins
mailto:smkolins at mac.com
http://homepage.mac.com/smkolins/
http://smk99.blogspot.com/
Possess a pure, kindly and radiant heart!
They that believe in vain thoughts forsake their own mercy.