(meteorobs) daytime fireball, near Graham NC

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Sat Jan 5 18:42:58 EST 2008

>I honestly thought that since I wouldn't be able to put
>this up until the following night I'd be a crowd of "me too"
>sightings. I'm honestly very surprised I'm the only report - though
>mine is pure chance. I was on the road on the way to work and happened
>to be looking almost straight at it when it happened.

There's no accounting for how fireballs get witnessed. My website for
reporting them is pretty high on the radar in Colorado- I get hundreds
of reports a year, and all the TV and radio stations give out the link
any time there's a fireball reported. Sometimes, my cameras will catch a
fairly ordinary event, like a mag -6 fireball, and I'll get dozens of
reports. Sometimes the cameras will catch something extraordinary, like
a mag -10, 10-second long fireball, and I'll get no reports at all.
There are some obvious things- distant fireballs are more likely to be
reported, because they are seen near the horizon. Also, fireballs
happening during commute time get reported more often. But all in all,
there are a lot of events which don't have a logical pattern of
witnesses at all.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory