(meteorobs) Stationary meteors

Pat Branch pat_branch at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 6 23:18:34 EST 2008

I saw a meteor come straight at me once too! (stationary meteor)
I was out camping - not watching a shower and happen to be awake and
watching the sky. Then I saw a star appear and get brighter and
brighter, then just blipped out. It lasted about 5 seconds and at
first I thought I saw a supernova!!! LOL

Then I talked to another astronomer friend and he said I probably saw
a meteor coming straight at me.
Pat

--- In meteorobs at yahoogroups.com, KCStarguy at ... wrote:

> I watched the Quadrantid meteor shower on the ground in Olathe, KS
(1/4/08)
> while astronomers saw the meteor shower in the air.
>
> At 11:00 it was cloudy here in Olathe so I went to sleep and woke up
at 5:30
> and went out in my sleeping bag near my house. It was clear, a
little hazy.

> I saw 6 meteors that hour several nice Quadrantid fireballs and a
possible
> stationary one during the morning hours 5:30-6:30.
> The stationary one was like a -2 fireball little meteor with no
discernable
> tail at all. It just looked like a little blip of bright -2 yellow
light that
> almost   looked like a ;ight   clicked on and off .
> I don't think it was a iridium flare so I was a little puzzled. But
it was in
> the right place near the Quadrantid radiant.
>
> (Last time I saw a stationary meteor was a lime green Perseid
fireball while
> I watched In Providence RI in the 60's . It was like a expanding
lime green
> flash that got 0.5 size of full moon and then faded out. Looked like
a Star Trek
> fireball weapon)
>
> so    I was able to see the Perseids, Aurigids, Orionids, Leonids,
Geminids
> and Quadrantids. Not bad
>
> More from those high flying team of astronomers (below)
> Meanwhile 2008 Quadrantid meteor shower peaked around 0200 UTC on
Friday,
> Jan. 4th. That is the initial report from astronomers who flew a
research
> airplane north of the Arctic Circle for an uninterrupted view of the
shower. The
> team, led by Peter Jenniskens of the SETI Institute, witnessed many
bright
> Quadrantids among an "amazing display" of aurora borealis; this is a
typical view
> through the starboard window:
>
> http://quadrantid.seti.org/
> http://www.spaceweather.com/meteors/quadrantids/quadrantids.html
> comet was seen in 1490
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadrantids
>
> very nice list ing of meteor showers
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_meteor_showers
>
> Dr. Eric Flescher (kcstarguy at ...), Olathe, KS:   Lat 38.834, Lon
-94.778:
> Nature's Greatest Spectacle- 2008 & 2009 Total Eclipse- Winco
Eclipse Tours,
> Inc.:www.eclipsetrips.com: Comet Observers Award Coordinator-
Astronomical
> League / Astronomical Society of Kansas, KC, MO-Louisburg,KS:
> http://www.astroleague.org/al/obsclubs/comet/comet.htm:   Comet
Observers Blog:
> http://cometobservers.blogspot.com/:Subscribe to Comet Observers
newsletter (send your email