(meteorobs) possibly meteoric smoke trail?

Pat Branch pat_branch at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 17 17:44:31 EST 2008

I'll have to disagree.
This is PEI and North Tyron is on the bay - I think they are looking
over the bay as there would be more trees since this area does have
lots of trees. Also the tree changes size and shape. Also there is not
a military base that close to PEI since they closed the one on the
island. And most military planes carry so little fuel they would not
dump it unless almost right over the base and only if they had a major
failure that required them to dump fuel. Lastly the aircraft would
have been flying to the west - the least likely direction for an
aircraft in trouble to dump fuel.

I think it is a water spout, and yes they often make a big zig zag in
the sky. But I think it does rely on knowing if the object on the
ground is a tree or not - if it is a tree then it is a plane contrail,
if it is over water then this is a water spout. The relatively high
temperatures at that time and the high winds could easily produce one
and the dark clouds on the edges of the video imply there were weather
effects (although I have seen them close up in clear skys in
Florida).  It is not smoke but a shadow cast on the particulates.

If you know them Ed ask if the shot is over water or land and what the
weather was.