(meteorobs) Cloudbait. A difficult question to ask. (hypervelocity meteors)

Pat Branch pat_branch at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 17 18:09:48 EST 2008

I will have to add my 2 cents in too.
Cannot meteor particles be picked up by solar corona ejections and
reach very high speeds (400 Km/sec). Therefore entering earth's
atmosphere at speeds which appear to be interstellar.
This happened to comet Encke earlier this year!
http://image.gsfc.nasa.gov/poetry/weekly/4Page22.pdf

But at the same time I have to admit there must obviously be
particles hitting us from outside our solar system every day so
interstellar meteors should not be too unusual.
Most particles from our solar system should enter our atmosphere
from east to west. Would that be a hard and fast rule?
Pat

--- In meteorobs at yahoogroups.com, <stange34 at ...> wrote:

> Chris,
>
> In your opinion, does there seem to be many more large Fireballs
around the
> approximate times, or between times of  meteor shower activity,
than when no
> showers have been acive for awhile?
>
> I am referring to Fireballs that do not seem to have any
relationship to a
> radiant because of their apparent direction of travel.
>
> What I am leading up to is, as earth approaches a meteor stream in
its
> orbit, most meteors have motion which can be traced back to a
radiant.
> But......
>
> 1) If "some" rocks near the plane of the stream were moving very
slow when
> earth approaches, and......
>
> 2) If "some" other rocks IN the plane of the stream that were
moving very
> slow, were to be lightly struck by slightly faster rocks enough to
give it a
> mild new direction as earth approaches.......
>
> Could not earths orbital speed around the Sun of 67,000 MPH, Plus
& minus
> earths rotational speed of 1,000 MPH, be enough when earths
atmosphere
> encounters these slow rocks to cause ablation by itself without
requiring
> these rocks to have any high velocity?
>
> Lastly then, could not many if not most of the so-called random
appearing
> directions of SPO's (& Fireballs),  really be slow or lightly
diverted rocks
> outside & within the stream and not random at all except in
APPARENT