(meteorobs) Meteor Activity Outlook for July 5-11, 2008

Thomas Ashcraft ashcraft at heliotown.com
Sun Jul 6 23:54:07 EDT 2008

> "Sirko Molau's study of video radiants has revealed another region of
> activity in Andromeda that is active from July 2-7. Maximum occurs on July 7
> when the radiant is located at 01:40 (025) +47 This position lies near the
> fourth magnitude star 51 Andromedae, which is located near the
> Perseus/Cassiopeia border. This radiant is best placed during the last hour
> of the night when it lies highest in a dark sky. Rates would most likely be
> less than one shower member per hour no matter your location. At 56km/sec.,
> the average meteor from this radiant would be of swift velocity. These
> parameters look suspiciously like those of the early Perseids yet no
> association is mentioned."

July 6, 2008

I might be wrong but I may have video captured a couple of the meteors
from the Andromeda area radiant that is mentioned above.

http://www.heliotown.com/Fireballs_July_06_2008_Ashcraft.html

In  my all-sky video images west is screen right.  An all sky map from
heavens-above.com for that time shows Andromeda in the meteors'
vicinity.  It has been estimated that my camera's "center meteor azimuth
is at 315°, and "up" in my image is at about 4.5°."  I am not precisely
calibrated for exact due north at top of screen at the present moment.

Thomas Ashcraft
New Mexico
http://www.heliotown.com/Fireball_Entrance.html