(meteorobs) Ist Light...and it's hot!

stange stange34 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 8 20:00:42 EDT 2008

Hello Chris,

Interesting, the two types of ablation yielding light & heat. I have not
taken the time to read the collision theory. I suppose it is the raising of
K & L shell electrons to a higher state of energy, (K shell can total 2) (L
shell can total 6) since it is primarily Hydrogen(H1 & N7) involved which
upon return to their lower state emminate energy in the form of heat & light
for the collision types.

My understanding of the ram-pressure ablation is that there is a thin zone
between the ram pressure heating zone and the meteoritic material  which is
of a (much slower velocity), removing the heated (molten) meteoritic
material layer by layer.similar to a flow of hot gasses streaming around and
off the frontal area of the meteor during its flight. The inside temperature
is unknown to me, and I accept (your) cool interior because of the enormous
velocity of the object and the short period of flight.

Then, jumping ahead a bit,  I suppose after ram-pressure & ablation of the
larger mass, has made a progressively smaller mass, it would perform a
transition to a collision phase of light & heat?

Larry
YCS