(meteorobs) Meteors and other highlights in IYA2009

bmccurdy at telusplanet.net bmccurdy at telusplanet.net
Fri Jul 18 23:52:24 EDT 2008

Quoting Daniel Fischer <dfischer at astro.uni-bonn.de>:

> These questions aren't purely academic: 2009 is the International Year
> of Astronomy, chosen for calendrical reasons (400 years of Galileo's
> first telescopic observations, also 400 years of Kepler's Astronomia
> Nova) but pretty devoid of remarkable sky sights for the public at
> large. The popular Perseids are lost to the last quarter Moon, the
> Quadrantids are awfully short, the Geminids are cold in many places:
> Should we or shouldn't we talk about the (potential of a (major))
> Leonid outburst - in moonless skies! - in 2009 or not?

I agree with Daniel (and Roberto G.), it would be nice to have an expert
opinion on whether the 2009 Leonids will be an event of public interest. I
expect those of us involved in IYA planning in our own corners of the world
would prefer to know sooner than later. As I am reading it, whatever spike of
Leonid activity that is expected will occur over Asia, so at first blush it
doesn't seem like a big opportunity for those of us in North America.

Daniel, I'm not sure I agree with your synopsis that the Perseids are "lost" to
moonlight, but the ~65% illuminated Moon just 45° from the radiant in
neighbouring Aries will definitely be a pain. That said, I have had worthwhile
Perseid sessions under Full Moon and would still encourage people to view them,
just to temper their expectations.

Ranging off-topic for a moment to address observing highlights of IYA, I agree
there are relatively few "remarkable sky sights for the public at large". Some
of the more unusual astronomical events are subtle and more likely to be of
interest to seasoned astronomers, e.g.

-- Closest approach of 1 Ceres since 1857, and until at least 3000 and probably
far beyond. (1.5832 A.U. on 2009 Feb 25).

-- Edge-on presentation of both the Jovian and Saturnian systems (the first
simultaneous such apparition since 1979-80, albeit halfway around the sky from
each other this time). Alas, this means the rings will be poorly seen just when
we "need" them most; and occasional shadow transits of Titan and opportunities
to sight some of the small satellites normally lost in the glare of the rings,
are probably not events of huge public interest. Ditto for mutual events
involving the Galilean satellites occulting and eclipsing each other. For those
interested there will be pages devoted to these observing opportunities in the
currently-in-production RASC Observer's Handbook 2009 and, no doubt, elsewhere.

-- The longest Total Solar Eclipse of the 21st Century, on July 22. This will
of course be of huge interest to everyone in the path, but that is not likely
to include Mr. & Mrs. Normal unless they happen to live in Asia.

-- The three-ring circus that will be the next triennial meeting of the IAU in
August, with the attendant hue and cry about the status of poor rejected Pluto
which is certain to be front and centre on the agenda. For some reason the
public seems more fixated on how we classify a little boulder on the ragged
edge of the solar system than anything else. It's a good conversation starter
but not exactly a "remarkable sky sight".

-- Sigh.

Bruce
*****