(meteorobs) Meteorobs day and night time meteors

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Sat Jul 19 11:05:44 EDT 2008

I'd say that for all practical purposes, there's no difference between a
daytime and nighttime meteor of any given magnitude. Very little of the
meteor's light comes from gas emission lines. The light is simply the
blackbody emission of a hot object, and the meteor temperature is the same
day or night.

There might be a slight difference in the trail characteristics due to the
phenomenon you describe. But how would you tell? Any ionized gas emission in
the trail is going to be invisible in the day, regardless of the meteor
magnitude. I don't think you can ever see any component of a meteor trail in
the day except for smoke and dust.

Of course, when you talk about "brilliance" the question gets tricky, since
you are now bringing in issues of perception. There's no doubt that a -6
magnitude meteor seen at night will be perceived as much brighter than a -6
magnitude meteor seen in the day, even though a camera would easily show
that they have the same intensity.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory