(meteorobs) Meteorobs day and night time meteors

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Sat Jul 19 15:15:56 EDT 2008

Figuring a typical meteor temperature of 4500 K, the peak output will be in
the visible, at 640 nm. You could approximate the temperature measurement by
looking at the intensity at a couple of wavelengths, say in the red and
blue, and fitting to a Planck curve. That would be easier than dealing with
IR measurements, since atmospheric absorption can largely be ignored. Even
though the thermal output is high, you also have light from narrow emission
sources, although the lines will show a high level of Doppler broadening.
That light will effectively contaminate the blackbody light, reducing the
accuracy of your temperature measurement.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com