(meteorobs) SPE and DAU : what is the difference?

Karl Antier ka.antier at wanadoo.fr
Sun Jul 20 12:35:18 EDT 2008

Hi all !

Just a few questions dealing with September showers and their
new designations...
Actually, the former delta-Aurigid shower splitted into two
different streams : the September Perseids (SPE) and the delta-
Aurigids (DAU).
They are respectively active from 05/09 to 17/09 and 18/09 to
10/10, and their characteristics are nearly exactly the same
(radiant drift are continuous, Vinf are equal, r-index, too).
If I well understand, the split was made because two maxima
seem to appear in the data recorded (the first at lambda=166.7 deg,
and the second at lambda=186 deg). My question is thus to know
why it could not be possible that those two showers are the
same with a major maximum and a smaller one later ? Is one
of them (or both) related to different known parent-bodies ?
What are really the difference between the two sources that
make the differenciation justified?
Second, there seem to be some general complex activity in the
Perseus/Cassiopea/Auriga/Aries region at that time. Does anyone
have a list of possible radiants that have been observed by the
past, but didn't receive any confirmation since ?

Thank you very much in advance for your answers !
Clear skies !
Karl