(meteorobs) Question....sky sighting!

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Wed Jul 23 10:01:16 EDT 2008

Hi Pam-

What you describe sounds like a jet contrail. It isn't uncommon to see them
at night, but most people don't spend enough time watching the sky to
notice. Your conditions- outside, around a fire- provided the opportunity to
catch this. You can see the same contrail behavior during the day. Under the
right high altitude conditions, contrails can persist for many minutes. They
will slowly diffuse, which causes the broadening you saw, and can be blown
intact across the sky, causing the your drift.

On July 18, at the time you give, a full Moon would have just been rising,
and there may have still been some evening twilight. If you were in the
woods, you might not have noticed the Moon on the horizon, but it would have
been doing a good job lighting up any overhead clouds or contrails.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com