(meteorobs) HALWA at NJAA July 25-26 2008

meteoreye at comcast.net meteoreye at comcast.net
Mon Jul 28 09:04:26 EDT 2008

Went out for a short session through moonrise. Skies weren't very good, but it was a cloud free window, so I took a shot. Highest meteor rate in my last 8 sessions despite the poor sky, so things are picking up. Lightning bugs still around, man are they annoying. 1 possible meteor had to be discounted since I couldn't tell whether it was a meteor or lightning bug. Katydids have started up, providing an audio background to my observing sessions; I find them very soothing. Regarding bats, I always thank them as they fly overhead, they eat the bugs that eat me :). Only 3 satellites, two dim ones, and a flashing bright one near Draco's head. This session was earlier than most for me from 10:50 to 1 AM EDT, so 13 jets passed through my FOV.

Observing Location NJAA Observatory, High Bridge, NJ
40d40m52s0N, 74d53m54s W 253 Meters elevation.

Local observing date July 25-26 2008

UT Date July 26, 2008
F=1.00 throughout
All meteors plotted with alignment cord, plot times measured from audio tape to derive Teff.

Showers observed, RA, Dec, Vel
PER 023, +53, v59
SDA 338, -17 v41
CAP 302, -11 v23
PAU 339, -31, v35 (Radiant below horizon first period)
ANT 316, -15, v30

UT Time      Teff     LM PER SDA CAP PAU ANT SPO TOT  Met/Hr
0250-0353 1.000 +5.31   1      2      0      X       1      0       4         4.0
0353-0459 1.050 +5.29   2      2      1      0        0      2       7         6.7
0250-0459 2.050 +5.30   3      4      1      0       1       2      11        5.4

Totals 11 meteors, 5.4/Hr  Avg Mag +2.27

PER 3; 1.5/Hr    Avg Mag +1.5
SDA 4;  2.0/Hr  Avg Mag +2.4
CAP 1; 0.5/Hr   Mag +2
ANT 1; 0.5/Hr   Mag +2