(meteorobs) 100 impacts on the Moon ... and counting

prospector at znet.com prospector at znet.com
Sun Jun 1 12:13:06 EDT 2008

Bruce,

    I'm not an expert with metors but several years ago I did a study
comparing 18 larger Earth meteors and the l8 largest moon impacts recorded.
I'll post my findings and the data and how I set up the study. I found that
the impacts on the moon were a mirror of the random data collecd on Earth.
I was comparing larger Earth and Moon meteors to periods of the better
known meteor streams and periods without them. While the number of days were
close to even, about 66% of both the Earth and Moon (as I recall without
looking for my data) were during the better known meteor streams. So from
that limited data set, it would appear that the Earth and Moon may share
close to identical meteor activity. This is more important now because of
our desire to establish a lunar base, we need to study meteor impacts and
the bullet like fragments from them that travel long distances.

                                          Dave English
                                      Oceanside, California

. Indeed, rather than my