(meteorobs) OT -Gen. Info. Daylight Fireball mirror & aprecursor "Blip"

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Mon Jun 2 08:46:24 EDT 2008

I'd consider a very sensitive camera for daytime use as well as nighttime.
Low lux cameras aren't more sensitive to light (all normal video cameras
have similar QE specs); what low lux cameras actually have is lower noise.
This is very important for daytime observations, where there is very little
contrast between the sky and most fireballs you might hope to record.

I've experimented with my allsky cameras in the day. While I've never
recorded a meteor, I have seen a lot of airplanes. The high "sensitivity"
PC164C captures them much better than a PC23C or an even higher lux color
camera I tried.

Chris
Chris L Peterson
http://www.cloudbait.com