(meteorobs) OT -Gen. Info. Daylight Fireball mirror &aprecursor "Blip"

stange34 at sbcglobal.net stange34 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jun 2 22:41:42 EDT 2008

Hi Chris,

The mirror system is set up to act just like a handheld camera, taking a
complete picture with background 30 times a second. It is not designed to
capture any weak meteors, only large Fireballs as they would appear to the
eye in real time. It runs(blind from darkness) from 11PM to around 4:30AM,
then it continues running with growing dawn light thru daylight until 8PM.
That is why I am not using a light sensitive camera with it. The dual
Sentinel system handles all the sensitive nighttime meteor detection. There
are too many problems trying to use it for daylight too.

I do get daylight birds, insects, cobweb glitter, planes and all, which I
expected from the very beginning with the mirror. The reward will be a nice
Fireball (Picture) if it happens.

Decided to try using a couple of automotive light bulbs for a heater. Around
52 Watts total. I will observe tonight whether there is light leaks through
the inside dome mirror surface and I will also see if 50 Wartts regardless
the source will prevent the dewing I get around 1-2AM. Did a timed lapse
sequence with Handyavi(every 1/2 hour to find when the mirror starts getting
dew).

YCSentinel