(meteorobs) Report on non-productive Arietid radiant shower.

stange34 at sbcglobal.net stange34 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jun 10 13:52:15 EDT 2008

In an effort to record Arietid activity a very sensitive all-sky mirror low
lux camera set up was in place at 2300 hrs. PDT June 9th, 2008 and was ran
continiously for  6 hours, ending at 0515 hrs. PDT June 10th, 2008 in Yuba
City.

This camera system was monitored by 3 computers, 1 Sentinel & 2 HandyAvi
mainframes. I watched one of the computer monitors during this entire
period.

My selected settings of the special camera showed, Moon, Jupiter, and stars
1.0 with mag 1.5 stars barely visible on the monitor.

There were no meteor streaks visible AT ALL when the Arietid radiant reached
my city horizon after 3 AM PDT. There were several unrelated light bursts
near horizons to distant to be associated with this radiant.

My conclusions & opinion at this location, absent better information is.....

The Arietids are not a "bright, or strong shower", but a dim or weak shower
over a long period of time, earning its reputation only on the occasional
earth grazer which might happen in its period of predicted activity.

In my opinion, it is unlikely that global warming has increased CO2 & other
compounds in the atmosphere to diminish any view of the shower or to cause
excessive meteor breakup when impacting the atmosphere.

So ends my attempt to film Arietid radiant meteor showers. I have returned
my 3 systems back to Fireball watching with the usual cameras.  -YCSentinel