(meteorobs) Difference between Bolides and Fireballs

veredh1 at zahav.net.il veredh1 at zahav.net.il
Thu Jun 12 17:34:49 EDT 2008

Hello fellow meteor observers,

Recently in our observatory we had a discussion concering the
difference between a Fireball and a Bolide.

As far as I know and read, a Fireball is a bright meteor,
where the definition of bright is normally accepted as
brighter than Venus. A Bolide is a Fireball which appears to
explode at its end (sometimes with fragmentation and/or
terminal flash).

One person which is part of our discussion claims that for a
meteor to be called a Bolide, it must make an explosion
sound (as opposed to simply be seen as exploding, which is
the more accurate definition in my opinion). I have never
heard of this anywhere.

My questions to you:
1. Is there any official definition for a Bolide?
2. If not, which definition is the most widely accepted? is
it possible that there are different definitions in
different languages/countries/books?
3. Basically, what I must understand is: what is the
difference between a Bolide and a Fireball?

It would be very good to figure out this thing once and for
all...

Thank you and take care,
Shy