(meteorobs) Difference between Bolides and Fireballs

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Thu Jun 12 17:48:24 EDT 2008

"Bolide" is an undefined term- or rather, it has multiple definitions.
It is sometimes used to describe a fireball that explodes somewhere
along its path, especially if sounds are produced. It is more commonly
used to describe a crater forming body. The former is most often used by
meteor watchers, the latter by geologists and those who study craters.

Personally, I never use the term at all. A bright fireball is simply a
fireball, regardless of whether it appears to explode. "Bolide" is too
uncertain in meaning, and too likely to cause confusion. IMO, the term
is best avoided.

Even though "fireball" has an IAU definition, it is also somewhat vague,
depending on whether the magnitude is given as apparent (this is the IAU
definition), or as absolute. If you really want to be clear, always
qualify "meteor" or "fireball" with the type of magnitude given, as well
as characteristics such as fragmentation or sound.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com