(meteorobs) Difference between Bolides and Fireballs

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Thu Jun 12 20:51:37 EDT 2008

The IAU has a formal definition for fireball, "a meteor brighter than
any of the planets", which is generally interpreted to mean "an apparent
magnitude brighter than -4". This can be found in the IAU Commission 22
report.

I believe the same report defines meteoroid as a body in space that is
smaller than an asteroid.

Both of these definitions are rather broad, but that's probably a good
thing.

I believe the IAU is considering a nomenclature change that would allow
"meteor" to be used for both the visual phenomenon as well as the actual
body that causes it, usually called a meteoroid even in the atmosphere.
But I don't think that change has been adopted.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com