(meteorobs) Difference between Bolides and Fireballs -OT

stange34 at sbcglobal.net stange34 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jun 13 03:45:40 EDT 2008

There are to many different ways sound can be produced to use it as a
definition.

a) Earth impact.
b) Ablation detonations.
c) Electrophonics.
d) Any of the above, and whether heard or not would be an issue.

Even if "Bolide" is eventually refined to mean an earth impactor, sound
could only be assumed in historical events. Sound is not unique enough to be
used as a definition IMO.

The problem appears to be in the colorful use of "Fireball" to describe very
bright meteors whether they generated sound or not, or fragmented by
detonation or not. Even McKinley author of Meteor Science & Engr. referred
to meteorite-dropping bolides being the same as detonating fireballs in
historical descriptions.

So if we accept "Fireball" as a description of bright meteoroid ablation,
then Bolide should be accepted as an impactor which is closer to the
original & ancient intent.

My opinion. -YCSentinel