(meteorobs) Difference between Bolides and Fireballs

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Fri Jun 13 09:17:59 EDT 2008

Since "bolide" has no single accepted definition, people use it in
different ways. In fact, I know people who only use it for fireballs
that produce sounds. So, "by any definition", yes. But certainly not by
all. Thus my advice: either don't use it at all, or be sure to qualify
it by whatever properties of the fireball are important to the
discussion. You can't assume your audience will be using the same
definition as you are.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory