(meteorobs) Difference between Bolides and Fireballs - even more OT

Jan Verfl verfl.meteors at seznam.cz
Fri Jun 13 09:53:20 EDT 2008

Hello,

as a side note, you may be interested in the multi-language aspect of the
topic. For example in Czech, we do not have two distinct words, we just say
"bolid" and upto this conversation I in fact was not aware that there is any
distinction between "fireball" and "bolide" in English either and I would be
using these two words interchangeably.

As far as I know, the word "bolid" in Czech is always used for "a meteor
brighter then Venus", what looks more like the "fireball" definition that
has been mentioned here. (Even though I clearly understand how "fire-ball"
was formed, Czech language does not work very well with such compoundsand so
a word made up of "fire" and "ball" would always sound too funny to mean
anything - and the two-word equivalent of "a ball of fire" does not ring the
"meteor" note at all).

Good luck,
Jan

CUT