(meteorobs) Difference between Bolides and Fireballs -OT

stange34 at sbcglobal.net stange34 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jun 13 11:40:52 EDT 2008

Might I suggest that Bolide be used to describe a meteorioid that is
characteriized by an exceptionally long duration and apparent size of
ablation?

This would automatically include the impactor concept because it would take
both size and duration to achieve a terrestrial disturbance.

And further, it would satisfy the physcial size gap between mm size
meteoroids and those mass sizes that are described as asteroids.

Under this definition, the massive fireball in New Mexico witnessed on film
by Sandia 1 & the Radio Observatory would be a Bolide. Our typical filming
and observation of lessor events would be Fireballs regardless the explosive
ablation or meterite fall-out.

Just a thought. -YCSentinel

.