(meteorobs) Difference between Bolides and Fireballs -OT

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Fri Jun 13 11:55:30 EDT 2008

The thing is, that's just another arbitrary definition which doesn't
match any distinct physical properties.

I think of meteors (and/or meteoroids) as falling into four natural
divisions. (1) Particles so small that they slow down before they heat
significantly (micrometeorites); (2) particles small enough that they
generate heat as a result of collisions with air molecules (less than a
few millimeters); (3) bodies large enough to generate heat as a result
of compression of air in front of them (these will generally be
considered fireballs); (4) bodies large enough to reach the ground still
carrying some of their cosmic velocity.

Giving these distinct names might be justified; otherwise, I'd just
stick with meteor and fireball (the last used loosely, to suggest a
particularly bright event), and qualify them as necessary.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com