(meteorobs) Difference between Bolides and Fireballs -OT

George Gliba gliba at milkyway.gsfc.nasa.gov
Fri Jun 13 11:52:45 EDT 2008

stange34 at sbcglobal.net wrote:
> Might I suggest that Bolide be used to describe a meteorioid that is
> characteriized by an exceptionally long duration and apparent size of
> ablation?
>
> This would automatically include the impactor concept because it would take
> both size and duration to achieve a terrestrial disturbance.
>
> And further, it would satisfy the physcial size gap between mm size
> meteoroids and those mass sizes that are described as asteroids.
>
> Under this definition, the massive fireball in New Mexico witnessed on film
> by Sandia 1 & the Radio Observatory would be a Bolide. Our typical filming
> and observation of lessor events would be Fireballs regardless the explosive
> ablation or meterite fall-out.
>
> Just a thought. -YCSentinel
>
> .

    I think that a bolide is any meteor that has a terminal burst; it
need not
be a fireball. I have seen 2nd magnitude bolides!

    In a somewhat unrelated topic, I wrote-up my meteor observing experences
for last weekend at:

http://gac.gsfc.nasa.gov/Nebula/jun2008.htm

Scroll to the bottom of the page...

Clear Skies,