(meteorobs) Difference between Bolides and Fireballs -OT

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Fri Jun 13 12:53:27 EDT 2008

> However, isn't there
> another group between 3 and 4: body large enough to reach the ground
> having lost its cosmic velocity, i.e. free falls.

I considered that, but I think that whether some parts of a body slow
down enough to avoid burning up depends on complex and subtle
parameters. Other than the general notion that slow, shallow meteors are
more likely to produce meteorites, there are no consistent physical
properties that determine which category 3 meteors will or will not. So
I don't think this is a very useful classification for _meteors_; there
will be meteors with very similar characteristics, some of which will
and some of which will not produce meteorites. How do you categorize
luck?

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory