(meteorobs) HALWA at NJAA June 12

meteoreye at comcast.net meteoreye at comcast.net
Fri Jun 13 13:33:23 EDT 2008

On one of the last nights before the full moon swamps the sky, I got in a few hours. Once again, all meteors were plotted.

Sporadic activity continued at about the same rate as my last few sessions (2/hr for the morning) but activity from the minor showers added enough to enhance the oevrall rate. Also there was a nice variety; dim and bright, fast and slow, so it was more fun than recent observations.
The highlight was a slow orange sparkling 30 degree long sporadic crossing Ophiuchus from north to south. The fireflies were really a pain this morning, with a half dozen or more flitting about. Apparently there's a different species now, that use two short flashes, as opposed to the single longer ones previously observed. I also has a skunk stop by for a visit, which led to a 30 second critter break as I identified who was making the noise. Hopefully, he was snacking on the many gypsy moth catepillars.

Date of Obs June 11/12
Location: NJAA, 74d53m54s W, 40d40m52s N
0520-0800 UT

UT Date June 12, 2008
F=1.00 throughout
FOV Az 185, Alt 60 RA 284 Dec +11

Showers RA Dec
ANT 274 -23
TOP 265 -16 (None Seen- IMO ANT)
All others reported to IMO as SPO
NZC 294 -09 (Northern June Aquilids
JLY 279 +30 (June Lyrids)
XDR 280 +55 (Xi Draconids)
TAH 238 +39 (Tau Herculids)- None Observed
SCU 282 -03 (Scutids)- None Observed

UT Time Teff     LM       ANT NZC JLY XDR SPO TOT Met/Hr
0520-0612 0.860 +5.40    0     0      0      1      1      1.2
0612-0707 0.852 +5.56    0     1      1      1      2      5.9
0707-0800 0.845 +5.66    0     2      0      0      2      4.7
0520-0800  2.557  +5.56   0     3     1      1      5      3.9

Total 10 meteors, average magnitude +1.95,     2.557 Hr Teff

5 Sporadic 2.0/Hr Avg Mag +1.5
3 NZC  1.2/Hr   Avg Mag 2.0
1 JLY   0.4/Hr  Mag +4
1 NZC  0.4/Hr  Mag +2