(meteorobs) Difference between Bolides and Fireballs -OT

stange34 at sbcglobal.net stange34 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jun 13 14:46:04 EDT 2008

Not withstanding all that has been said by others,

To be useful to the meteor community, the term Bolide should be weighted on
the QUALITVE side by a generalized yet distinctive definition, not specific
parameters of measure or a detail which inhibits its use.

Otherwise, a highly technical description, or specific quantative measure
would restrict the term to only those that can make near absolute measure
and prevent the use of the term by most observers. Additionally, too
technical can bog it down & prevent any definition at all in a timely manner
by IMO.

Can anyone in good concience really deny all the big continent crossing
fireballs, Peekskill, New Mexico, and other similar large events should not
be described as Bolides?

Unless we decide Bolides are earth impactors only... we need to keep
everything on a reasonable & practical level by definition because our use
of "Fireballs" to describe the appearance of more ablation than a meteor
streak, is a self-explanatory term not having further need for clearer
understanding to convey the thought.

Keeping it simple will be of more practical use I think. -YCSentinel