(meteorobs) Difference between Bolides and Fireballs -OT

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Fri Jun 13 14:56:04 EDT 2008

> Can anyone in good concience really deny all the big continent
> crossing
> fireballs, Peekskill, New Mexico, and other similar large events
> should not
> be described as Bolides?

Yes. We aren't a standards defining organization here, so at best, our
usage is informal. As you created the above sentence, you could have
safely (but unnecessarily) used "bolide", since you also said "big
continent crossing". But if you used "bolide" more abstractly, or
without supporting context, I would not really know what you meant. So
for myself, I'll stick with "meteor" and "fireball", neither of which
are likely to be misunderstood in a way that substantively changes the
meaning intended.

I would not even use "bolide" for Earth impactors, unless I was making
it clear with additional words that I actually meant an object impacting
the Earth with cosmic velocity.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory