(meteorobs) Difference between Bolides and Fireballs -OT

Shy Halatzi shyhalatzi at gmail.com
Fri Jun 13 15:18:36 EDT 2008

From all I read so far, here and elsewhere, and considering that we
use the word as astronomers rather than geologists, it seems to me
that the most widely-accepted definition is:

"A fireball which visually appears to explode/fragment."

Since there is no official definition anywhere yet, I take this to be
my personal "official" definition of a Bolide, until the IAU or IMO
will publish an official one.

I will also take Jan's comments about the language aspect in mind, and
when I have some time, search through our periodicals historical
archive for old (from the 50s, 60s) Hebrew terms used by the Israeli
meteor observers. Perhaps I will be surprised and find some word there
which was lost over the years (some words "die" and can be revived).
I also think it would be good if people from other countries
(European, Asian etc.) would say something about the terminology in
their languages and about their opinion on the Bolides/Fireballs issue
in general. Contribute to the discussion...

Take care,
Shy