(meteorobs) Meteorobs should make decision.

Roberto G. md6648 at mclink.it
Sun Jun 15 09:41:30 EDT 2008

>From: "Rainer Arlt" <rarlt at aip.de>
>
>> I also think that a precise definition isn't important (just like with
>> planets). We all know what a meteor is, and we all know that a fireball
>> is a bright one, even if we may not know exactly what that means. The
>
> Fireball is an English word, Bolid is a Greek word. I don't see the
> need for giving them different meaning in astronomy (although the
> Greek apparently means all kind of bullets) either.
>
> I haven't seen the words being used with different meanings in the
> last years. Remember also that there are many languages in which
> only the word 'bolid(e)' exists. I'd tend to say we are talking about
> synonyms.
>

> Best regards,
> Rainer

I agree with Rainer, I think that the word "fireball" it's a sub-category
of the word "bolid" (all fireballs are bolids but not all bolids are
fireball).
We must remember too that the professionals not utilise the word bolid,
for they all meteor phaenomena are only "meteors".
Best greetings.
Roberto Gorelli