(meteorobs) Great fireball photo(s) on APOD

GeoZay at aol.com GeoZay at aol.com
Sun Jun 29 12:06:29 EDT 2008

>>Other than the insert, I do not believe any massaging was done  on that
photo. I have seen supurb photos of the MW from Austrailia before  on
Astronomy websites and they do not need low Lux cameras in long  exposure or
any touchup. A plain camera will do  it.<<
It's a nice image, but it's more than obvious that some kind of  manipulation
has been done to this photograph. If you get pinpoint stars, you  will end up
with blurred land features that are in the same photograph. I use to  do it
all the time. Never been able to get both pinpoint stars and non  blurred land
features from the same exposure. You can come close, but not good  enuf where
you can't tell it.

>>The backlighting of the foreground brush was probably from a  small camping
light.<<
Perhaps and maybe even a weak strobe flash,  but that doesn't explain  the
relatively sharp outline of Ayers rock, nor the sharp cloud features  along the
horizon. Clouds along the horizon will appear relatively stationary  just like
land features and should appear blurred if the camera is tracking the
stars...which it apparently is.
GeoZay