(meteorobs) Great fireball photo(s) on APOD

Jan Verfl verfl.meteors at seznam.cz
Sun Jun 29 12:43:59 EDT 2008

I doubt it. The stars in the center are perfect points, the stretching is
radial around the center - it is coma, not eatrh movement. It is easily seen
at the corners.

Let me do some maths. The picture is, say 50 degrees accros (I do not know
the southern sky well enough to track the constelations, but I know how the
milky way looks:), ant it is 3000px, so we have about 1px/arcmin.The stars
in the center are very good,i don't believe they are even 1 px blurred. The
sky rotates 15 deg/hour = 15 arcmin/min, so this is no longer than 30 s
exposure (what is indeed the rule of thumb for a 50-mm lens astrophoto).

I am not an expert on astrophotography, but from my puny attemps it seems
highly unlikely for my to get a detailet milky-way structure in 30 s, even
on a very high iso. Anyway, it is a great picture, we all do the
picture-adding cheats, so let it live:)

Jan