(meteorobs) Perseids this year

Skywayinc at aol.com Skywayinc at aol.com
Mon Jun 30 11:25:20 EDT 2008

In a message dated 6/30/2008 11:10:52 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
bwilson2 at ix.netcom.com writes:

I am trying to decide whether to open the observatory to the public for
this years Perseids?

Would like some input from the group regarding  expected rates, time of
maximum, etc.

We are located in the CDT zone  in the United States.

---

As it turns out, I just submitted my August Night Sky  column concerning the
Perseids to SPACE.com.  Here is what I wrote  concerning the peak night:

Viewing  prospects
In 2008, the  Perseids are expected to reach their maximum on August 12.  The
exact time of maximum should be  about 11h Universal Time August 12,
according to Margaret Campbell-Brown  and Peter Brown in the 2008 Observer's Handbook
of the Royal Astronomical  Society of Canada.  If so, the  timing is very good
for meteor watchers observing before dawn in  North America, especially in
the western states.  And that morning, the waxing gibbous  Moon sets around 1:30
a.m. local daylight saving time, leaving a dark sky for  the next 3 hours.
Take full advantage of that moonless period.  Next year, a Last Quarter Moon
will  illuminate the after-midnight sky with its light and will hinder
observation of  the Perseids.

-- joe rao