(meteorobs) Superbolide energy vs. meteorite drop

Jure Atanackov jureatanackov at email.si
Thu Mar 6 17:33:49 EST 2008

With regard to large fireballs and superbolides - I've been studying and
reading a lot about superbolides and meteorite impacts lately and it seems to
me that most of the recent significant meteorite falls come from (as far as
superbolides go) rather unspectacular events with <0.1 kt energy, for example
the Mbale, St. Robert and Villalbeto de la Pena. Park Forrest (~0.5 kt) and
Tagish Lake (>1.5 kt), probably also the recent Carancas event seem to be
about the most energetic events associated with recorded meteor drops.

Is there a certain mechanism that prevents larger objects measuring in tens of
kilotons, such as the Mediterranean event of June 6th, 2002 or the Marshall
islands fireball of February 1st, 1994 up to prehaps Tunguska size to produce
substantial meteorite drops or do such events produce proportionally larger
meteorite drops measuring in tons and tens of tons, but are just very very
rare?

Clear skies!
Jure