(meteorobs) Counting the meteors, using a VLF receiver

Thomas Ashcraft ashcraft at heliotown.com
Wed Mar 12 11:32:52 EDT 2008

Hi Jean-Louis and all,

I still have yet to hear an audio recording of a meteor captured at very
low frequencies.  Does anyone here know of any?

In 1999, I listened with a McGreevy ELF/VLF radio during the Leonid
fireball storm. I believe I detected one large fireball but I was not
audio recording so cannot prove it. I am well aware of the sounds of VLF
whistlers, sferics, lightning crackles, etc but the sound I heard was
not a normal sferic. Rather, it sounded like "brittle hard plastic
sharply cracking apart". It is hard to describe the sound in words and I
wish I had made an audio recording.

I am hoping to hear an audio recording of a VLF meteor one day.

Clear skies,
Thomas Ashcraft