(meteorobs) Falling Meteors

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Thu Mar 13 10:34:57 EDT 2008

Hi Josh-

The answer to your question depends on just what you mean by "falls".
The speed that a meteoroid (the body that produces a meteor) enters the
atmosphere is unrelated to its mass (weight). However, once it is
traveling through the atmosphere, it experiences drag- air resistance is
trying to slow it down. The greater the mass, the harder it is for air
resistance to do this. So while all meteors that don't completely burn
up eventually reach the same speed (they lose all of their original
velocity, although Earth's gravity causes them to fall downwards), how
long it takes them to lose their velocity depends strongly on their
original mass.

Once they lose their original velocity, and are simply free falling,
they fall at a speed that is related to their mass, size, and shape. You
might have learned about Galileo and his famous experiment where he
dropped objects with different weights and observed that they landed at
the same time. But that really only happens in a vacuum. On Earth, the
air makes any object "fly" a little, so the weight and shape do affect
how fast something will land. A dense meteorite that is shaped like a
golf ball will probably hit the ground several times faster than a low
density meteorite shaped like a Frisbee. But in either case, that speed
will have nothing to do with the original mass of the meteoroid (most of
which will have burned up high in the atmosphere minutes before anything
hits the ground).

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory