(meteorobs) Swift Sees 5th Magn. GRB!

meteoreye at comcast.net meteoreye at comcast.net
Thu Mar 20 16:37:06 EDT 2008

Yes, air traffic compomises our NJAA All sky camera greatly. In order to avoid capturing hundreds of planes a night, the threshhold for meteor detection must ignore most slow objects. Unfortunately it cuts out slow meteors as well. It did very bad detecting Quadrantids due to the low elevation resulting in slow angular velocity. Having seen that, we will try and adjust the parameters for low elevation showers in the future, but that must be done manually for each such circumstance. I think this is why we have missed some spectacular fireballs as well.

From: <stange34 at sbcglobal.net>