(meteorobs) Swift Sees 5th Magn. GRB!

meteoreye at comcast.net meteoreye at comcast.net
Fri Mar 21 11:04:46 EDT 2008

Yes that is correct, but since the metors are distributed around the radiant in all directions, the lower the radiant is, the lower the majority of the meteors will be. Our camera only operated for the quadrantids till about 3AM LST due to an electrical problem. By that point the radiant had just reached ~ 30 degrees elevation (HR would be 50% of ZHR under =6.5 skies). Another limit is that we have the near horizon masked to avoid stars showing through the trees, which can lead to false detections.
By that time, the camera (looking at the whole sky) had detected 1 QUA, while Pierre and I (looking at a typical ~ 100 degree diameter FOV) had seen 7 and 6 respectiveley. Also the camera has a detection limit around +2.5, So perhaps it wasn't surprising, just diappointing.
Wayne

From: Karl Antier <ka.antier at wanadoo.fr>