(meteorobs) Spotting of an asteroid

Marco Langbroek marco.langbroek at wanadoo.nl
Mon Mar 24 06:30:49 EDT 2008

Chris Peterson schreef:
> A fireball is a lot more likely than decaying junk. Most slow meteors
> will show green (of course, decaying junk is the slowest).
>
> Chris

I agree with Chris. Also: colour really is not a clear clue to the nature of an
object. Green colours likely are due to atmospheric oxygen.

The only objects near decay at the time of the sighting were pieces of USA 193
debris but the reported flight direction is inconsistent with those.

5 seconds to me suggests a meteoric fireball.

- Marco

-----
Dr Marco Langbroek
Dutch Meteor Society (DMS)