(meteorobs) Spotting of an asteroid

Sinisa Milivojevic sinisa at mysql.com
Mon Mar 24 10:22:23 EDT 2008

Marco Langbroek writes:

> I agree with Chris. Also: colour really is not a clear clue to the nature of an
> object. Green colours likely are due to atmospheric oxygen.
>
> The only objects near decay at the time of the sighting were pieces of USA 193
> debris but the reported flight direction is inconsistent with those.
>
> 5 seconds to me suggests a meteoric fireball.
>
> - Marco
>

> -----
> Dr Marco Langbroek
> Dutch Meteor Society (DMS)

Dr. Langbroek,

Now that you say it, seems to me that it was meteoric fireball.

I also spotted it once in June 1999 and saw it split in two pieces,
both of which continued a flight in their own direction until they
burned out.

What is interesting is that flight path was quite similar to the one I
saw this year.

--

Sincerely,

--
Mr. Sinisa Milivojevic <sinisa at mysql.com>
Principal Manager of Support and Developer