(meteorobs) Meteor animation and electrophonic sounds

Jim Rosenstock jrosenstock at earthlink.net
Wed May 14 08:20:53 EDT 2008

--- In meteorobs at yahoogroups.com, Karl Antier <ka.antier at ...> wrote:

> The big new is that I receive a report of a man who heard
electrophonic
> simultaneous sounds during a -8 fireball sighting, last january.
> Until here, nothing new, this is a very speculative issue, and it
> may be the observer's imagination which put a sound a bright object
> moving in the sky.
> The interesting fact is that the sound has also been heard by a friend
> of the observer... who didn't see the fireball...
> Has anyone ever heard of such a sighting (or hearing ;-)) ?

Hmmm...at this point I thought that electrophonic sounds associated
with some bright fireballs was an accepted phenomenon.  The presence of
a local "antenna" to recieve the radio signal from the meteor (e.g.
pine needles, or perhaps an "pouffy" hairstyle ;^) is thought to be a
necessary element for hearing a meteor.

But no, I have not personally heard a meteor (without man-made
equipment, that is!).  I have one friend's credible report of a daytime
fireball that produced a "sizzle", but I know of no "sound without
viewing" reports.

Cheers,

Jim