(meteorobs) Arietid Prototype ready for mounting.

stange34 at sbcglobal.net stange34 at sbcglobal.net
Thu May 22 16:40:42 EDT 2008

For any who might be interested in constructing similar,  The mirror system
has tested well.

1) With or without Sun blocking disk, the automatic camera gain control(AGC)
compensates for the brilliant sunlight and darkens the sky and surrounding
trees etc. to where it looks like a sky at 9:30 or 10 PM on a summer night.
The Sun itself remained quite brilliant in the software display without the
disk, or a brilliant corona if the disk is used. I am confident Jupiter or
Saturn would easily show up and likely Mag 1 stars too in the sky
background.

2) The sliding Sun blocking disk is moveable on the coat hanger wire and is
locked into position on the wire with a small T-head screw. The CW 24 hr.
timer was used even tho' I wanted East and West correctly placed, but the
sacrifice is East & West will be the same as a Sentinel all-sky camera with
East to the left of center when North is up.The timer arc will not precisely
match the Sun's travel through the entire day because it will curve
downward.

3) Wind gusts do effect the Disk block because of the "springy" nature of
the coat hanger curving wire. As mentioned... the disk is NOT necessary if a
slightly larger Sun glare & artifacts can be accepted. A second reflection
can be seen of the disk on the mirror surface by the camera. An unexpected
flaw which will only null out at Noon time.

4) I did see several fairly large flashes in the sky just East of the Sun
around 11 AM with the assy in the driveway. They were NOT streaks nor were
they associated with my setup or the Sun tracking mechanism. Maybe satellite
flashes?

Anyway it looks like I am good-to-go for tomorrows patio roof placement on 3
blocks with brick weighting. I only need some Arietids to make this effort
worthwhile. Photos at:
http://www.geocities.com/stange34@sbcglobal.net/ArietidDetector1.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/stange34@sbcglobal.net/ArietidDetector2.jpg

BTW -Nice mirror Drobnock, very nice indeed. We could do a lot with that!
:-)

YCSentinel