(meteorobs) OT -Addendum to Sidhartha.

Ed Majden epmajden at shaw.ca
Thu May 29 00:12:00 EDT 2008

On 28-May-08, at 8:24 PM, stange34 at sbcglobal.net wrote:

> It is noteworthy that Ed Majden's research in Spectral Analysis
> et.al., has
> moved into backscatter now too. I "suspect" he intends to
> investigate the
> properties of the backscatter envelopes as a research tool....
>
> -YCS

YCS:
	My spectroscopy program has nothing to do with my radio work.  Jeff
Brower, a member of our Sandia West Coast All-sky network got me
interested in radio work as he has been doing this for some time.  I
thought I would give it a try as we frequently don't have clear skies
for spectroscopy.  I doubt very much if one could obtain the
elemental composition of a meteor from a radio back-scatter system.
The all-sky camera provides useful "time" information of a meteor if
it is captured by one of my meteor spectrographs.  A -2.0 magnitude
meteor will produce a detectable spectrum of a meteor on film. This
is  the sensitivity of a film based spectrograph.  The Sandia system
could also provide triangulation information if the meteor is bright
enough to be recorded from two different locations.  This has not
been accomplished yet here, but one can always hope!  Because of the
cost of film my spectrographs are only set up during meteor showers.
Peter Millman did a study, and he stated that one could record one
spectrum with one hundred hours of exposure time.  Your chances
increase during meteor showers.  I fund this work myself so you can
understand my problem.   If anyone know where I can get "free" 4X5
and 8X10 format film like Kodak Tri-X b&w, let me know! ;-)

Ed
http://members.shaw.ca/epmajden/index.htm