(meteorobs) Lost City Meteor/Meteorite

AL Mitterling almitt at kconline.com
Wed May 28 18:23:37 EDT 2008

Greetings,

I've posted here in the past about witnessed meteors and fireballs. I
know there are collectors of meteorites on the list and
wanted to make a one time offering as this involves a historical
witnessed fall that was recorded by the Prairie Network, Hominy and
Woodward, Oklahoma, and Pleasanton, Kansas Stations. I felt there might
be some interest here in this material.

Anyone that would be interested in this super rare meteorite fall can
contact me off list for available material and prices. Here is the
description of the fall.

Lost City, Oklahoma was the first fall to be photographed in the USA. On
January 3, 1970, 3 stations of the Prairie Network photographed the
track of a meteor after a ten year search. Analysis of the photographs
indicated the meteorite landed within a one-mile square around Lost
City. Six days later a broken 9.8 kilo specimen was found in a road.
Four fragments in total were located from the fall weighing 17 kg. Use
of the photos help to provide proof that meteorites were originating
from the asteroid belt and showed Lost City as being from the main
asteroid belt area. Certainly one of the most expensive meteorite in the
world because it took a consorted effort of watching the night sky with
cameras for over a decade just to find this meteorite.

All my best and thank you for your time!

--AL Mitterling