(meteorobs) bright meteor over Los Angeles

Skywise skywise at skywise711.com
Thu Nov 6 21:49:55 EST 2008

Just observed the tail end of a nice bright meteor over the
Los Angeles area this evening.

The time was 6:28 PM local according to my cell phone.

It was descending in an almost due west direction at an
azimuth just south of due west. Tracing the track back it
would have been south of zenith by about 10-15 degrees.

I only saw the tail end of the blue-green object as it
then exploded into about a dozen yellow sparks at an
altitude roughly just below Jupiter's altitude at the
time, ending about 5-10 degrees south of due west.

Magnitude was roughly that of Jupiter.

It was VERY distinctly blue/green.

Brian Vanderkolk
--