(meteorobs) Leonid Activity?

GLDSKTR at aol.com GLDSKTR at aol.com
Sat Nov 8 06:02:47 EST 2008

All,

 This morning, 11.8.08, I woke up around 3:30am ET, USA here in  Florida.
Couldn't fall back to sleep, so I decided to try for some Taurids  around 4am.
Skies were crystal clear. I wasn't keeping times or coordinates,  just enjoying
the sky. I didn't expect to be out long.

  Inside of 15-20 minutes, I saw two 1st Mag. Leonids. This usually  wouldn't
catch my attention, except that:
1. It's early in the month
2. It's not an "active" year for the Leonids.

In between, there were plenty of satellites to entertain me. Around 4:30am,
I walked inside real fast to grab a quick bite, and came back out. Another
lightning-fast 2nd Mag. Leonid! If I wasn't looking right at it, I probably
would have missed it. A few minutes later, watching a very bright satellite
(Possibly the ISS?) Another 0 Mag., or brighter, Leonid shot right past it! By
this time, my attention was far away from the Taurids. I did manage to see one
out of the corner of my eye through Canis Major, but I hardly cared.   :)  The
North side of the sky was blocked by the roof. Maybe there were  more? I came
back in around 5:15am ET when things seemed to slow down. Now that  I think
of it, I should have stayed out!

This is probably insignificant, maybe just a fluke. I'm wondering if anyone
else saw unusually higher-than-normal activity from Leo? This may be worth
monitoring, since the Leonids have surprised us again and again. They've been
unpredictable for a few hundred years. :)

Thanks,
Anthony
Florida, USA

Holiday needs. Search Now.