(meteorobs) Sun elevation and azimuth algorithm

lourdes salinas lsalinas6 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 20:36:28 EST 2008

*Hi, *

*I'm a Mexican architecture student trying to calculate the elevation and
the azimuth of the sun at any given time or day with the intention of
designing the most efficient solar panels for a project. I'm using an excel
spreadsheet and the algorithm found at
http://www.astro.uio.no/~bgranslo/aares/calculate.html, which is very
similar (but a little bit more complex) than the one posted in meteorobs in
the msg 09197.*

*I have already set up all the formulas and have reviewed them, but I still
have something wrong. If anyone could send an example (of a certain day and
time) or could explain the units that I have to use for the " t
ut",(universal time used in the calculation for the sidereal time) or
basically which formulas should be done in radians and which in degrees,
would help me a lot. *

*I have been trying to figure this algorithm for weeks, and haven't achieved
the desired results which I'm comparing to the ones at
http://sunposition.info/sunposition/spc/locations.php*

*Any advice or help would be great.*

*Thank you so much!*

*Lu*