(meteorobs) OT -Reverse of Ram Drive(Disk) in meteor detectionsoftware.

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Sun Nov 16 01:54:02 EST 2008

I'm not sure why the Sentinel system has such a long lag. The ancient Metrec
software writes meteor data to the disk so quickly that there's almost no
chance of missing a meteor. The Windows meteor capture software I'm working
on has no lag- it can be recording a meteor while a previous meteor is being
processed and saved to disk. That's not at all a problem with today's fast
processors and multithreaded applications.

None of this involves doing anything with the hard disk, which is inherently
slow. Meteor image frames get stored in RAM during acquisition. At around 10
MB per second uncompressed, you can record a very long event, and be writing
it to disk even as you are storing a second event in RAM. You don't need to
increase effective RAM, you can simply increase actual RAM.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com